Recent Podcast Episodes:

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Who Is Tony Lindsay?



I received a comment about my Ultimate Santana review I did a while back from someone called Shaman and it said:

Shaman quoting me: "I've never heard of Tony Lindsay"
He is in the band since a while .... Do you really know Santana ???

Now Shaman, I freely admit to not being the biggest Santana fan in the world. I have only owned a few Santana albums in my lifetime and most of them were compilations of some sort. But I will say that my review was of the Ultimate Santana album specifically; a compilation filled with celebrity guest vocalists. I had not encountered Tony Lindsay's name before, and I would guess that most people outside of die hard Santana fans haven't either.

According to the Santana (band) page on Wikipedia, Tony Lindsay has been in the band on and off since 1991 and his bio on his own site says he's appeared on such Santana albums as Milagro, Shaman, Ceremony and Supernatural. It does state right on his main page that he is "The greatest lead singer of all time!", so perhaps I should not be so quick to judge; although after listening to "Interplanetary Party" again, my review still stands.

I do think it's safe to say that his contributions to the Santana albums since 1999 have been overshadowed by the numerous guest vocalists that appeared on tracks alongside him such as Rob Thomas, Michelle Branch, Chad Kroeger, Steven Tyler & Dave Matthews among others.

So there you go Shaman, I'm giving Tony Lindsay his due. However, I would imagine that since the Ultimate Santana CD is aimed more at casual fans who have heard these songs on the radio, there will be a good deal of people who will flip to the credits for "Interplanetary Party" and say "Tony who?"

1 comment:

Shaman said...

Congratulations Brad!
I thank you to don't see in my commentary just a critic and try to improve your knowledge of Santana.
And for your judgement of the album you are free to don't apreciate the song "Interplanetary planet".
And if my commentary permit someones to want to discover Santana a few more I'm happy...

ps:excuse my english it's not my natural language.